Here is a great idea for an after school snack or lunch box pleaser. Your only limit is your imagination and what the kids like. Tested out by Vicki from 17 bright ideas team, she can assure you her kids loved them. Preparation: 5-10 minutes.
- ½ avocado
- ½ carrot
- ½ red capsicum
- ½ cucumber
- low fat cheese, grated (optional)
- 100g can tuna in spring water
- 1 celery stalk
- 125g can creamed corn
- handful spinach leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise or low fat cheese, grated (optional)
1) Using a rolling pin, flatten bread slightly. Remove crusts from the sides of bread (remove two of the four crusts). Vegetarian filling: 2) Using half the avocado, spread 4 slices of bread with avocado. 3) Wash veggies. 4) Cut veggies into thin strips. 5) Place veggies on top of bread leaving a 2cm strip along top edge. 6) Top with grated cheese (optional). 7) Roll up to enclose filling. 8) To make sushi bites, cut each sandwich into 3 rounds. Tuna filling: 2) Drain tuna. 3) Wash and dice celery. 4) Combine tuna, celery and creamed corn in bowl (add mayonnaise and/or cheese, optional – we did!). 5) Spread tuna filling over remaining 4 slices, leaving a 2cm strip along top edge. 6) Top with spinach leaves. 7) Roll up to enclose filling. 8) To make sushi bites, cut each sandwich into 3 rounds. TIPS: More delicious filling ideas: Hummus, spinach and red capsicum or smoked salmon, ice-berg lettuce and avocado.
- TAGS: Bread sushi, Healthy lunch box ideas, healthy kids snacks, afternoon tea ideas, after school ideas, ideas for mums, making food fun, Foost, eat our colours, recipes to make with kids.