If you want to make a room appear bigger, but have no idea how; here are 17 bright ideas you can do to trick the eye into making it look as if your room has just doubled in size!
Walls and Floors
- Light colored walls can help a room look more spacious as it reflects light, making the room brighter.
- Try and make sure the walls and the floor are within the same color scheme. If there is too much contrast between the two; the space will close up.
- Having the same continuous floor throughout a room, will create the illusion of it looking bigger because it has an uninterrupted flow.
- If you want a rug; round is always best. If it were rectangular, it would connect the furniture together, resulting in a smaller surface area.
- Windows are great for making a room look bigger, brighter and more attractive.
- Mirrors are ideal for reflecting light. If positioned correctly, the natural sunlight will come through the window and hit the mirror, which then bounces off and dispenses light all around the room.
- When the sun goes down, you will have to rely on the right artificial lighting to give the illusion of space.
- Built in ceiling lights or track lights are fantastic because nothing hangs down or overpowers anything, which means nothing disrupts the environment you’re trying to create.
- If you’re trying to make your living room appear bigger; get a sofa that has legs, not something that’s bulky. If it’s raised off the floor, it will create a better balance within the room.
- If you’re looking at tables, then try and stick with a rounded shape, and avoid letting it touch the wall.
- If you don’t really need the piece of furniture you’re looking at, don’t add it to your room. It will just waste precious space.
- Doors can make a room feel closed in and small. So if you have any cupboards around, remove the door altogether. Just make sure you tidy it first!
- One of the most obvious ways of creating a bigger space is to declutter. Get rid of useless junk that’s lying around and make use of the room you have. Companies like samedayrubbishremoval.com.au will come and collect all your unwanted rubbish for you, so you can focus on bringing your room back to life.
- Artwork is a stunning way to open up your home if chosen correctly. If you do it right, a painting can completely change the scale of a room.
- If you hang a painting on your wall that is just a little above eye level, it will create a sense of height to the room.
- If the art is a very large piece, it can make everything else in your room feel very small.
- If you have too much art, it will look overcrowded. What you can do is alternate pieces every week or two. That way you get the best of both worlds – space, and visual appeal.