Kids Kritics ApprovedCorn Dog Bites Anyone? Corn dogs are a great summer time favorite for kids in the USA but could become a new favourite for Aussie kids too! These Corn Dog Bites have all the taste of corn dogs in fun bite-sized portions – baked in a mini muffin pan, so they are very simple to make. They are great for parties, appetisers, picnics, lunchbox snacks or as a dinner side dish. Your kids will love them so give them a try. Enjoy! Cooking Time: 18 mins, Serves: Makes about 16 corn dog bites.
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal (organic if possible)
- 1/2 cup whole spelt flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened milk of choice
- 1 egg (free range if possible)
- 2 tbs butter melted
- 3 tbs unsweetened applesauce
- 2-3 Frankfurts (Check out the Frankfurts from Aussie Farmers Direct)
1) Preheat oven to 200OC 2) Mix together cornmeal, spelt flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in mixing bowl. 3) In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: eggs, butter and applesauce. 4) Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, just until moistened. 5) Use a cookie scoop or rounded tablespoon to add batter to liberally greased mini muffin pan. 5) Cut Franks into approximately 2cm pieces. 7) Press into the center of each muffin cup. 8) Bake for about 8 minutes or until the tops of the muffins start to turn golden. 9) Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from pan then serve. Tip: Serve with tomato or BBQ sauce.
- Options: Spelt flour is not gluten-free. To make these Corn Dog Bites gluten-free, use a gluten-free baking mix instead of spelt flour or take a simpler route and make the muffins using a gluten-free corn muffin mix. Try adding cheese or chopped capsicum to your Corn Dog Bites for a little extra.