Fish and chips are a great family dinner and they make you feel like you are on holidays. But why buy them when you can make them yourself. Here is a great recipe that is quicker than the takeaway version and so much healthier. Flathead tails are perfect for kids as there are no bones to worry about. The whole family will love this quick and easy recipe for Crumbed Flathead Tails with Tartare Sauce.
Prep time: 10 mins, cooking time: 4-6 mins, serves: 4
- CRUMBED FISH
- – 2 cups rye or spelt bread crumbs
- – 4 tsbp cornflour (or plain flour)
- – 1 egg
- – 8–10 flathead tails
- – 1–2 tbsp coconut oil
- – lemon wedges
- TARTARE SAUCE
- – 1 cup mayonnaise
- – 1 tbsp capers
- – 1 tbsp gherkin, chopped
- – 1 tbsp white condiment (white balsamic vinegar)
- – 1 lemon, zest (optional)
- – ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1) Place the flour on a dinner plate, whisk the eggs in a wide, shallow bowl (with a dash of water) and place breadcrumbs on another dinner plate.
- 2) Coat the pieces of fish in the flour, dip in egg wash and then the breadcrumbs. Gently press down to make sure the crumbs stick.
- 3) To make the tartare sauce, place the mayonnaise, capers, gherkin, vinegar, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small food processor and blend until combined.
- 4) Add coconut oil to a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook fish for 2–3 minutes on each side until the crust is crisp and the fish is cooked through.
- 5) Serve the crumbed flathead tails with tartare sauce, a wedge of lemon and green salad or some homemade chunky chips. Enjoy!
Summer TABLE combines fast, delicious and healthy for the perfect solution to the ‘what’s for dinner’ dilemma. And in a world first, scan the recipes in the book to create a shopping list on your phone, with all the items sorted by supermarket aisle. Too easy! Check out their website for more information on this bright idea.