Looking for a dessert recipe for Easter? My mouth is watering just thinking about this delicious bread an butter pudding made with choc cherry hot cross buns ( available from Aldi) and including crushed easter eggs…..Drooool…..
- 5-6 cherry chocolate hot cross buns, sliced thickly
- 11⁄2tablespoons(30g )soft butter
- 275ml milk
- 2 cups(500ml) cream
- 1/3 cup(75g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 100g (1large) Easter egg, crumbled(optional)
- Ice-cream to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180’C (160’C fan forced). Grease a shallow 2-litre (8-cup) ovenproof dish. Spread cut surfaces of buns with butter. Place cut side up in prepared dish. Sprinkle with Easter egg (optional).
- Combine the milk, cream and sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over heat until warm but not boiling. Whisk eggs in large bowl. Gradually add warm milk mixture as you whisk. Pour hot milk mixture over the hot cross buns. Leave to soak for at least 10 minutes, pressing down with your fingers occasionally to help the buns soak up the liquid.
- Place overproof dish in a large baking tray and add enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ovenproof dish. Bake uncovered in oven for about 45 – 50 minutes or until pudding almost sets. It will still be wobbly in the middle if you shake the dish Remove the pudding from the oven and stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve Bread & Butter Pudding with almond praline sprinkled over the top.
- Lyndey’s Cooking tip: pull out your oven shelf, put the two dishes in it and then pour the boiling water into the outside dish. This avoids carrying a dish with boiling water in it which is very easy to spill.