Sydney Heaters and Pizza Ovens Easy Apple Tarte Tartin is a wonderful recipe to have on hand when friends and family drop in over Christmas. It uses only basic ingredients but the delicious golden sticky caramel apples and butterey pastry are a combination you just can’t say no too. Great for a crowd or make a smaller one for a romantic night in.
- 100g castor sugar
- 3T water
- 1t lemon juice
- 500g apples, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2T castor sugar
- 20g butter
- 1 x sheet of puff or sweet shortcrust pastry
- Make the caramel – put the sugar and water into a small saucepan. Over a low heat, stir until dissolved then increase heat and simmer without stirring till golden.
- Stir in the lemon juice and pour the caramel into a pie dish, tipping back and forth till coated.
- Leave to cool slightly while preparing the apples.
- Arrange the apples into the tin, sprinkle with sugar and dot with the butter.
- Place the pastry over the top, tucking in around the edge.
- Put the tarte into a medium hot oven (approx 220 degrees Celsius).
- Bake for 30-40 minutes turning regularly.
- Remove from the oven and immediately turn out on to a serving dish.
- Serve with cream or ice cream.