Avoid buying last-minute, clichéd or unwanted gifts this Mother’s Day and give mum what she really wants: time with family and a break from household chores. According to a survey of Australian mums, these are far more appreciated than cheap chocolates, trivial trinkets or any appliance. A picnic prepared with love ticks both boxes and will show mum how much she’s appreciated. This Layered Egg Sandwich developed by Australian Eggs is a twist on the humble classic and perfect for a portable feast.
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 lebanese cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and diced
- 2 thick slices of wholegrain bread, toasted
- 160g reduced fat ricotta cheese
- 1/8 bunch of each finely chopped herbs (chives, parsley, dill, mint)
1) Tear the bread into bite size pieces and place into the oven or under the grill until toasted and slightly crunchy, turning occasionally. 2) Stir the herbs into the ricotta, season with pepper to taste. 3) Divide the cucumber in the bottom of two glasses followed by the bread chunks, ricotta and boiled egg.
Cooking tips: Replace cucumber with tomato or add diced ham.
- TAGS: Mothers Day Food, Mothers Day Easy Picnic, Mothers Day Lunch, Layered Egg Salad, Australian Eggs,