This roast chicken with lemon and herb seasoning is so simple and delicious, and lets face it… who doeasn’t LOVE roast chook! The combination of lemon, with basil, thyme and parsley really enhances the flavour of the chicken, and the olive oil ensures a crispy skin. Prep time 15min, Cooking time 1hr 15. Serves 4.
- Whole free range chicken (No. 17)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 4 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 250g sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
- 6 baby potatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, cut into large wedges
- Steamed greens, to serve
- Herb Filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, extra
Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan forced. Combine filling mixture and season to taste.
Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towel. Begin to lift the skin at the leg and over the breasts above the cavity of the chicken. Use your fingers to make a pocket under the skin, taking care not to tear the skin. Next, use your fingers to place the prepared filling under the skin.
Place the chicken into a CorningWare SimplyLite 2.85L Oblong Baker and put some lemon wedges into the cavity along with the thyme and parsley sprigs. Tie legs together with cooking string.
Place pieces of sweet potato, baby potatoes and red onion pieces around the chicken. Drizzle chicken and vegetables with extra oil and season with salt and pepper.
Cover with lid and bake for 20 minutes. Remove lid and bake for a further 55 minutes or until ready when tested.
Allow to stand covered with lid for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with baked vegetables and steamed greens.