Australian Eggs Smoked Trout Frittata Squares are perfect for when guest come around. Make them for a ladies lunch, Melbourne Cup lunch, Easter buffet or Christmas Eve dinner. Did you know, as eggs are an excellent source of protein, with one serving providing one quarter of the recommended dietary intake for adults, they are an ideal ingredient to include in party food. Good quality protein has been shown to contribute to greater feelings of satisfaction after eating and assist with weight management, your guests can enjoy a sumptuous buffet without over eating and suffering from post-party guilt. Serves 8.
- – 1 whole smoked trout (about 400g)
- – 2 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
- – 3 green onions, finely sliced
- – 2 tsp chopped dill
- – finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- – 8 eggs
- – 1/3 cup light sour cream, plus ¼ cup for topping
- – dill sprigs, for garnish
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 26 x 16cm (base measurement) slice tin with non-stick baking paper, extending over the two long sides. 2) Pull all the flesh from the trout, discarding the skin and bones. Flake the flesh and place into a large bowl. 3) Squeeze out excess liquid from the zucchini. Add to the bowl along with the onions, dill and lemon rind; mix well. 4) Whisk the eggs and sour cream. Add to the bowl, stir to combine and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. 5) Pour into the prepared tin. 6) Bake for 25-30 minutes, until set and golden brown. Stand in the tin for 5 minutes, then lift onto a wire rack, and carefully slide out the paper. Cool completely. 7) Cut into 24 squares and place onto a serving platter. Tip: Top each of the Smoked Trout Frittata Squares with a small dollop of sour cream, and a dill sprig.